Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 4 Antworten
und wurde 107 mal aufgerufen
 Fragen zur Anwendung
Dioskur Offline

06.06.2011 23:36
RE: Wer synchronisiert Benutzerprofile via Dropbox? Zitat · Antworten

Hallo,

wer hat Erfahrungen mit der Synchronisation von Nutzerprofilen via Dropbox? Kann ich zum Beispiel mit meinem Notebook unterwegs das Benutzerprofil synchronisieren und macht das Sinn?

Vielleicht kriege ich eine hilfreiche Antwort, bevor ich selbst lang herumprobiere.

Dioskur

DPI 15 auf Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)
SpeechMike Premium. Intel i7 Core 4x2.67 GHz, 6 GB RAM

monkey8 Offline

07.06.2011 00:59
#2 RE: Wer synchronisiert Benutzerprofile via Dropbox? Zitat · Antworten

Hallo Dioskur

again I am replying to you in English so please just ask if anything is unclear. If I understand the Google translation of your question correctly then consider the following:

First of all if you are talking about synchronising a user profile on your laptop computer with a user profile on your desktop computer then in many circumstances this is not a good idea because of the different characteristics of the soundcard and the microphone between the two systems. However if, for example, you are using the same external USB sound pod (like the Andrea or Buddy) and the same microphone with each system then it may be a feasible option. However even in these circumstances there can be differences in characteristics of the profiles because of the other hardware involved.

In such circumstances then just open the "Manage Users" dialogue on system 1 and click on the "Advanced" button followed by "Export" and then export your user profile to a flash drive or equivalent. On system 2 again open the "Manage Users" dialogue and click on "Advanced" and then this time choose the option to "Import". Another option here, if you are an experienced user, is simply to copy the user profile files from one system to the other and skipping using the importing and exporting functions.

Another option to consider if you are using the same microphone headset and external USB soundpod is just to keep your user files on a flash drive/thumb drive and you then just plug this in to the system you are using at the time. Some people have reported a slight degradation in performance using a thumb drive/flash drive for the user profiles but I can't say that this is anything significant from my own experience (other than loading the profile initially). Of course the advantage in doing it this way is that you only need to maintain one set of user files and you don't need to do any synchronisation (of course you must take backups

Finally if your two systems do have completely different sound cards and microphone headsets (or either) then the way to synchronise is by exporting your vocabularies using "Manage Vocabularies" and exporting your commands (or copying the commands file) from system 1 and then importing both vocabularies and commands into the other system.

If you need further clarification on any of this please just ask.

Lindsay
www.pcbyvoice.com

Dioskur Offline

08.08.2011 17:45
#3 RE: Wer synchronisiert Benutzerprofile via Dropbox? Zitat · Antworten

Hello Lindsay,

thank you very much for your answer. I asked for "cloud"-synchronization via dropbox. Do you have any experiences?

Best wishes

Hans

monkey8 Offline

08.08.2011 19:44
#4 RE: Wer synchronisiert Benutzerprofile via Dropbox? Zitat · Antworten

Hans

Apologies Hans for heading off on a tangent with my previous reply. The short answer is no and I have not been tempted to for various reasons. I don't have the fastest of Internet connections so downloading and uploading (especially) would not be particularly fast.

Secondly as you would uploading and downloading your user profile over the Internet I would imagine the possibilities of user profile corruption are increased slightly. Okay this can happen at any time but seems to be more likely to happen with such a system.

The free account was limited to 2 GB of space which was not enough for my different user profiles. I think the paid account gives 50 GB but I'm not sure how much it is.

Neither do I like the idea of keeping my user profile on someone else's server, specifically when it contains account sensitive passwords. They may be disguised in many ways but nonetheless it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work it out.

I think I would be more likely to use a Master Roaming Profile and synchronise using that method.

I would be very interested to hear from anybody who is using dropbox and to how successful it has been with DNS.

Lindsay
www.pcbyvoice.com

incidentally Hans please feel free to correct me on my understanding of how dropbox works, I have only read about it briefly. I know it effectively connects to a local folder/server with special properties under your documents folder (My Dropbox) so when reading and writing from user profiles most of the time this would be done locally. I guess I have never had a real need to use something like this but like I say would be most interested to hear from anyone who has.

Dioskur Offline

08.08.2011 21:17
#5 RE: Wer synchronisiert Benutzerprofile via Dropbox? Zitat · Antworten

Thanks a lot, Lindsay, that's it, what I wished for. You are sceptical towards dropbox, so do I.

Hans