Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 6 Antworten
und wurde 216 mal aufgerufen
 Fragen zur Anwendung
Tiger Feet Offline

15.07.2011 16:34
RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Please excuse me because I did not know where to post this question, so I decided to post in here. It is not exactly a DNS question so please forgive me for that. It is a question I would deeply like to know the answer to please.

I accidentally assigned a program to open a dll System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll. I now realise I should have just left this file blank as a plain white icon. I need to know how to change it back to that state?

I assumed I had to open it choosing a program to open it with. I right clicked it and chose 'Microsoft Word.' I've since found out I should not have chosen any program and just left it white.

Apparently, these are known as 'dll' files as explained above. In addition, I have since been told, there is no need to open this type of file anyway as it contains only information for a backup of my original Windows Speech Recognition Speech Profile. This is what I did not realise.

After assigning Microsoft Word as the program to open it, now it is showing, not as a complete white file (as it should,) but as a white file with a 'Microsoft Word' icon in the centre of it. I deleted this file and started another new speech profile from scratch. After the necessary training, I backed it up but it still saved with the 'Microsoft Word' icon in the centre of a white document instead of just a plain white document.

Therefore, my question is, how can I change it back to a plain white file (as it should be) or a System file 'dll' called 'Windows Shell Common dll.' file to give it its proper name? Googled this and found this link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6085298_open-win...common-dll.html

All I have been able to do is change the program to open it. I changed Microsoft Word to Notepad but this is still wrong, as it should just be plain blank!

An answer on how to achieve this would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

DNS 11 Professional - Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 64-bit OS - Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo CPU T9400 @2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz - 4.00 GB RAM - Plantronics Wireless Hands-Free CS60USB Microphone/Buddy Desktop USB Mic (Backup Microphone)

Marius Raabe Offline

15.07.2011 17:29
#2 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Tiger Feet,
as you state correctly, this is not exactly our line of work (i.e., off-topic).

Anyway, a Google Search comes up with some ideas regarding deleting a file asscociation
I picked a link in your mother tongue:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-una...-windows-vista/

I think it should work in Windows 7, too, but you will have to find out at your own risk. What it does to dll's - I do not know, maybe Rüdiger can tell.

Best, Marius

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5 Legal
Windows 7 Prof. 64-Bit, Office 2010, Jarte Plus
Philips SpeechMike II Pro Plus, SpeechMike III, SpeechMike Air, PDCC 2.8
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, 2,83 GHz, 2x6MB L-2, 8 GB RAM

Tiger Feet Offline

15.07.2011 20:19
#3 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Marius Raabe
I think it should work in Windows 7, too, but you will have to find out at your own risk. What it does to dll's - I do not know, maybe Rüdiger can tell

Thank you Marius for your advice and help on this matter, that it also not being a DNS matter.

I do not feel competent enough to start doing things in the registry. I have since been told it does not matter if another program has been designated to it. It will still perform the same function it was meant to.

I just thought there might be someone in here that may have the expertise to give me a systematic instructional guide on how to change it back to a DLL file.

Thank you anyway

Tiger Feet

DNS 11 Professional - Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 64-bit OS - Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo CPU T9400 @2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz - 4.00 GB RAM - Plantronics Wireless Hands-Free CS60USB Microphone/Buddy Desktop USB Mic (Backup Microphone)

R.Wilke Offline

15.07.2011 20:51
#4 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Tiger Feet,

to start with, why do you want or have to open the DLL file? Opening DLL files (dynamic link libraries which usually contain programmatical code of some kind for applications to work by themselves or along with others) is not only dangerous in and by itself, usually it is also absolutely unnecessary because whatever you see - if you are seeing anything because DLL files are compiled some way or the other -, won't tell you much.

Second, if my understanding of what you did is correct, you have assigned what is called a file type association along with DLL files, files having the extension .dll for that matter, according to which such as files are automatically opened in Microsoft Word when double clicking on them. If this is the case, that's something that is being defined in the system registry, and it will hold true for any DLL file and not just the specific one that you are mentioning, and unfortunately in Windows 7 there is no other way of deleting that particular entry in the registry to get rid of the association taking. But this is what will be needed to undo such files being opened in Word.

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct and if so I will try to walk you through it.

Rüdiger

Dragon Professional 16 auf Windows 10 Pro und Windows 11
SpeechMike Premium (LFH3500); Office 2019 Pro + Office 365 (monatliches Abo)
HP ZBook Fury 17 G8 - i7-11800H - 24 MB SmartCache - 32 GB RAM - 1 TB SSD

Tiger Feet Offline

15.07.2011 21:55
#5 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von R.Wilke
to start with, why do you want or have to open the DLL file? Opening DLL files (dynamic link libraries which usually contain programmatical code of some kind for applications to work by themselves or along with others) is not only dangerous in and by itself, usually it is also absolutely unnecessary because whatever you see - if you are seeing anything because DLL files are compiled some way or the other -, won't tell you much.

Second, if my understanding of what you did is correct, you have assigned what is called a file type association along with DLL files, files having the extension .dll for that matter, according to which such as files are automatically opened in Microsoft Word when double clicking on them. If this is the case, that's something that is being defined in the system registry, and it will hold true for any DLL file and not just the specific one that you are mentioning, and unfortunately in Windows 7 there is no other way of deleting that particular entry in the registry to get rid of the association taking. But this is what will be needed to undo such files being opened in Word.

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct and if so I will try to walk you through it.

Rüdiger,

thank you for your response. Your assumptions are correct.

You are right in saying why would I want to open a DLL file. The answer is I did not need to open it. In fact, you are right in saying I did not have to do anything to it at all. What I did was by accident as I right clicked it to assign 'Microphone Word' as a program to open it. As you quite rightly point out, I should have just left it alone as a complete white, blank file. What I did was all by accident.

Incidentally, the DLL file was a backup of a Windows Speech Recognition speech profile. In other words, if WSR became corrupt for any reason, I could restore it using this DLL file which would have been the original backup for WSR to work as it originally did in the first place.

I accidentally chose a program to open it with. First, being Microsoft Word and then changed to Notepad. Now every time I backup a WSR speech profile, it always shows up as a blank file with the Notepad icon in the centre of it.

Apparently, this does not matter I have since been informed. Performing a backup, even with the Notepad icon in the centre, will still work and backup the profile to its original state as I have tried.

Now, it is not such a big deal but I was just wondering how you change it back to being a simple DLL file and completely white with no icon in the centre of it, just blank?

If you know of a way of doing this and it means going into the registry, then please tell me how?

As mentioned before, I do not feel competent enough to do anything in the registry for such an operation, if needed in the first place.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

R.Wilke Offline

15.07.2011 22:49
#6 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Tiger Feet,

not feeling like spinning my wheels right now (I have had a tooth pulled out this evening), I did a little more searching and I guess I found something explaining all this quite appropriately:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/remove...s-in-windows-7/

But take it easy, and take care.

Rüdiger

Dragon Professional 16 auf Windows 10 Pro und Windows 11
SpeechMike Premium (LFH3500); Office 2019 Pro + Office 365 (monatliches Abo)
HP ZBook Fury 17 G8 - i7-11800H - 24 MB SmartCache - 32 GB RAM - 1 TB SSD

Tiger Feet Offline

17.07.2011 16:30
#7 RE: How to change back to System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?' Zitat · Antworten

Rüdiger,

Thank you for your effort in trying to help me. I have now sorted the problem.

Cheers

Zitat von R.Wilke
Tiger Feet,

not feeling like spinning my wheels right now (I have had a tooth pulled out this evening), I did a little more searching and I guess I found something explaining all this quite appropriately:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/remove...s-in-windows-7/

But take it easy, and take care.

Rüdiger

Tiger Feet